Friday, October 28, 2005

Confession 4.0

I like lawyers.

Justice is very important to me, and the criminal court system facinates me. I like to read about true crime, to include pictures of crime scenes and autopsy reports. I remember reading True Crime and some other magazine, Dectective somethingoranother, waaaay back when I was 20. The facination never wained. Working for a prosecutorial office was a good fit for me, and I did it for three years. Left to have a baby, and after working another kinda similar job (CPS), I am back at my old office. Yay! But something happened yesterday that made me remember why lawyers also suck ass. It also showed me that maybe, yeah - I take things too much to heart and have a hard time letting it go. But I don't know if that's a bad thing. I just don't think it's a smart thing in my chosen profession.

Wednesday I talked with this dude who has been terrorized by his bipolar wife. The crazy bitch is in jail for her most recent charge of assaulting him (this after ramming her car into his as they were driving a month ago, violating a protective order twice three months ago) and the dude was telling me how he needed his wife to be in jail for at least a couple of months so he could recooperate from surgery and start divorce proceedings. This guy is just beat down. He sounded depressed. I couldn't talk him into coming in to get a full protective order. He knew he needed to do it, but he just couldn't get up the energy. Depressed, you know? Said his wife told him flat out she would take the kids away from him once she got out of jail this time. Anyway.....

I typed an entire page of what this guy told me about his wife, what he wanted for her as punishment, and what happens? The bitches slimy ass lawyer comes in, lies to our prosecutor about how this guy wants to drop charges, how she's bipolar and she needs to be in treatment, not in jail, and she ends up getting 90 days in jail. 90 days! Now, to you lay people, that might sound like three months, but no - it's actually only 45 days, and she's already been in jail for over 30. Basically, she is getting out in 5 days.

I'm fucking sick about it! Why do they bother to ask us to call the victims? Why should I care so much what happens to these people if all it takes is a slick assed, lying son of a bitch of an attorney to come in and weasel his client out of whatever they have done? Un FREAKIN believable! In case you can't tell, I'm fucking pissed. I'm really angry at the prosecutor, and I want to tell him, but I don't know if that's such a good idea. I like this prosecutor. Why did he have to be such a chump? DAMN.

So - this reminded me about what I had forgotten since I'd been gone. That yeah, I can like lawyers, but lawyers also still suck. Especially criminal defense lawyers, who are representing the guilty 95% of the time, and they freakin' know it. I know we've got a system, and they wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't try to get their client the best deal, but how does society get affected this way? This woman terrorizes her husband in front of her children. Uses them as pawns, getting them to beg their dad to take their mom back - basically, emotionally (and probably physically) abuses them while she is on her biopolar rampage, and yesterday - NO ONE DID ANYTHING ABOUT IT. Not her attorney, not our attorney, and ultimately, this guy isn't going to do anything about it either because he's too beat down to fight this woman.

I think it's the fact that kids are involved is what has really got me ticked off about it. At least in CPS, someone is doing something about it.

Fucking lawyers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

I totally agree. One of the things that bugged me to death is the back door dealings attorney's make without their clients knowledge - occasionally rampant in your office, especially on CPS cases. The only way to protect the unprotected is to be as equaly coniving and make deals where you can. If an agreement isn't made prior to going befor the judge it's because no one tried hard enough or their all in a pissing match between eachother. Go courts!

9:14 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home